Respiratory syncytial virus infections in hospitalized Canadian children: regional differences in patient populations and management practices. The Pediatric Investigators Collaborative Network on Infections in Canada.
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is the most frequent cause of hospitalization for respiratory tract infection during the first 2 years of life. The optimal approach to management remains controversial. During the 1991 to 1992 RSV season RSV-infected children admitted to eight Canadian tertiary care pediatric centers were followed to: (1) assess the morbidity and mortality attributable to RSV infection among hospitalized patients with and without known risk factors for severe disease; and (2) assess regional variation in the management of RSV infection. Of 529 RSV-infected patients 69% (363) had one or more of the risk factors for severe disease and the remaining 31% (166) had none. There were significant differences (P or = 7 days (39%, 6%). Among low risk patients, centers varied significantly (P