A fatal case of slhellfislh poisoning attributed to eating mussels that had fed on the dinoflagellate plankton, Conyaulaxc catenella, was reported July 21, 1954, by the United States Commissioner at Dutch Harbor, Alaska. Since a survey of shellfish toxicity was being conducted in northern Alaskan waters at the time by the Public Health Service Arctic Health Research Center in Anchorage,the case was investigated thoroughly.
From: Fortuine, Robert et al. 1993. The Health of the Inuit of North America: A Bibliography from the Earliest Times through 1990. University of Alaska Anchorage. Citation number 2742.
Cited in: Fortuine, Robert. 1968. The Health of the Eskimos: a bibliography 1857-1967. Dartmouth College Libraries. Citation number 1147.