Since 1988 a new type of burns in children has been recorded at the Burns Centre at Hvidovre Hospital in Copenhagen, being scalds caused by water from toppled electrical kettles (el-kettles). The children with el-kettle scalds were younger and their injuries more severe than those of children whose scalds had other causes. During the six year period 1988 to 1993, a total of 29 children (0-3 years) have been admitted with scalds caused by el-kettles, 15 children alone in 1993. The costs for treatment have been more than 3 million Danish kroner, 1.8 million DKK alone in 1993. From 1993 preventive measures were taken to reduce the number of this type of scalds. Since the number of households with el-kettles in Denmark is on the increase, an increasing number of toddlers with severe scalds could be anticipated. However, a fall in the number of children admitted was registered in 1994 (four children) and 1995 (six children).