to estimate the prevalence of newly-diagnosed chronic kidney disease (CKD) and its risk factors in patients of a therapeutic clinic, to evaluate the importance of GFR calculation using the CKD-EPI formula. Materials and methods: the study included 275 patients (275 (31.1%) men and 610 (68.9%) women) aged 18-89 (mean 59.5 13.95) years. GFR of 60ml/min/l.73 m3 or signs of kidney lesions were diagnosed as CKD. Possible risk factors of CKD were elucidated based on the results of a questionnaire that provided information on complaints, metabolic disorders, family histoty compliance with a healthy lifestyle. Arterial pressure and serum creatinine level were measured, BMI and GFR calculated in all patients.
Medical histories of 58% of the 885 patients contained signs of CKD. Among the remaining 372 (42%) ones, 7.2% had proteinuria and 20.1% GFR of 60ml/min/1. 73/m3. The prevalence of newly diagnosed CKD was 27.3%. The use of the CKD-EPI formula allowed to diagnose CKD in 18% of the patients having the serum creatinine level within normal values. The overall prevalence of CKD in the study group was 14%.
the prevalence of newly diagnosed CKD in patients of a therapeutic clinic was 2 7.3%. The use of the CKD-EPI formula facilitates diagnostics of CKD.
There was made a determination of the correlation relationships (CR) between indices of physical and sexual development (SD) of 1997 adolescents aged from 11 years 6 months to 17 years 5 months 29 days residing in the industrial center of the Southern Urals characterized by high levels of air pollution (API 7-13). Benzo(a)pyrene and formaldehyde contribute the greatest part to air pollution. The level of SD, time of appearance of secondary sexual characteristics was revealed to be interrelated with the pace of physical development of adolescents, regardless of the gender Children with an accelerated pace of physical development (macrosomatotype) are characterized by advancing sexual development and the earlier appearance of secondary sexual characteristics. Slow pace of physical development (microsomatotype) is characterized by SD retardation and the later appearance of secondary sexual characteristics. The degree of intensity of secondary sexual characteristics and such anthropometric indices as height, body mass are interrelated and have age and gender differences: the maximal CR for these indices is typical for boys aged from 13 to 16 years as for girls--of 13 and 14 years old.
to ascertain if standard gestational age charts can be used to accurately predict the gestational age of fetuses of first-generation Oriental immigrants to Canada.
Over a 3-year period, all patients presenting for obstetric ultrasound examinations were invited to participate in the study. The authors recorded biparietal diameter, head circumference, femur length and abdominal circumference for 139 fetuses in the second and third trimesters. A study performed in the first trimester was used as the baseline for gestational age. The data for 126 of the fetuses were complete, and these data were used for the analysis.
For 77 of the fetuses, both parents were Oriental, and for 49, one or both parents were not Oriental; the latter constituted the control group. A total of 1008 individual measurements were obtained, and of these, all but 14 fell within two standard deviations of the norm, according to standard gestational age charts. Of the abnormal measurements, seven were obtained from five fetuses with Oriental parents, and seven were obtained from six fetuses in the control group. The difference between the two groups in the proportion of measurements falling either above or below two standard deviations from the norm was not statistically significant (Fisher's exact test, p = 0.41694).
The authors conclude that standard gestational age charts can be used to determine gestational age in first-generation Oriental immigrants to Canada.