Skip header and navigation

2 records – page 1 of 1.

The ABCA4 2588G>C Stargardt mutation: single origin and increasing frequency from South-West to North-East Europe.

https://arctichealth.org/en/permalink/ahliterature50771
Source
Eur J Hum Genet. 2002 Mar;10(3):197-203
Publication Type
Article
Date
Mar-2002
Author
Alessandra Maugeri
Kris Flothmann
Nadine Hemmrich
Sofie Ingvast
Paula Jorge
Eva Paloma
Reshma Patel
Jean-Michel Rozet
Jaana Tammur
Francesco Testa
Susana Balcells
Alan C Bird
Han G Brunner
Carel B Hoyng
Andres Metspalu
Francesca Simonelli
Rando Allikmets
Shomi S Bhattacharya
Michele D'Urso
Roser Gonzàlez-Duarte
Josseline Kaplan
Gerard J te Meerman
Rosário Santos
Marianne Schwartz
Guy Van Camp
Claes Wadelius
Bernhard H F Weber
Frans P M Cremers
Author Affiliation
Department of Human Genetics, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands. a.maugeri@antrg.azn.nl
Source
Eur J Hum Genet. 2002 Mar;10(3):197-203
Date
Mar-2002
Language
English
Publication Type
Article
Keywords
ATP-Binding Cassette Transporters - genetics
Alleles
Base Sequence
Europe
Gene Frequency
Heterozygote
Humans
Molecular Sequence Data
Mutation
Point Mutation
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
United States
Abstract
Inherited retinal dystrophies represent the most important cause of vision impairment in adolescence, affecting approximately 1 out of 3000 individuals. Mutations of the photoreceptor-specific gene ABCA4 (ABCR) are a common cause of retinal dystrophy. A number of mutations have been repeatedly reported for this gene, notably the 2588G>C mutation which is frequent in both patients and controls. Here we ascertained the frequency of the 2588G>C mutation in a total of 2343 unrelated random control individuals from 11 European countries and 241 control individuals from the US, as well as in 614 patients with STGD both from Europe and the US. We found an overall carrier frequency of 1 out of 54 in Europe, compared with 1 out of 121 in the US, confirming that the 2588G>C ABCA4 mutation is one of the most frequent autosomal recessive mutations in the European population. Carrier frequencies show an increasing gradient in Europe from South-West to North-East. The lowest carrier frequency, 0 out of 199 (0%), was found in Portugal; the highest, 11 out of 197 (5.5%), was found in Sweden. Haplotype analysis in 16 families segregating the 2588G>C mutation showed four intragenic polymorphisms invariably present in all 16 disease chromosomes and sharing of the same allele for several markers flanking the ABCA4 locus in most of the disease chromosomes. These results indicate a single origin of the 2588G>C mutation which, to our best estimate, occurred between 2400 and 3000 years ago.
PubMed ID
11973624 View in PubMed
Less detail

Evidence of a founder effect for the RETGC1 (GUCY2D) 2943DelG mutation in Leber congenital amaurosis pedigrees of Finnish origin.

https://arctichealth.org/en/permalink/ahliterature188413
Source
Hum Mutat. 2002 Oct;20(4):322-3
Publication Type
Article
Date
Oct-2002
Author
Sylvain Hanein
Isabelle Perrault
Päivi Olsen
Tuija Lopponen
Marja Hietala
Sylvie Gerber
Marc Jeanpierre
Fabienne Barbet
Dominique Ducroq
Sélim Hakiki
Arnold Munnich
Jean-Michel Rozet
Josseline Kaplan
Author Affiliation
Unité de Recherches sur les Handicaps Génétiques de l'Enfant. Hôpital Necker - Enfants Malades, 149 rue de Sèvres, 75743 Paris Cedex 15, France.
Source
Hum Mutat. 2002 Oct;20(4):322-3
Date
Oct-2002
Language
English
Publication Type
Article
Keywords
Blindness - congenital - enzymology - genetics
Cyclic GMP - metabolism
Female
Finland
Founder Effect
Guanine
Guanylate Cyclase - genetics
Humans
Linkage Disequilibrium - genetics
Male
Mutation - genetics
Nuclear Family
Optic Atrophies, Hereditary - enzymology - genetics
Pedigree
Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide - genetics
Sequence Deletion - genetics
Abstract
Leber congenital amaurosis (LCA) is the earliest and most severe form of all inherited retinal dystrophies. It is a genetically heterogeneous condition as six disease-causing genes have been hitherto identified. Among them, RETGC1 (GUCY2D), is more frequently implicated in our series of LCA patients. Interestingly, 70 % of the families with RETGC1 mutations are originating from Mediterranean countries, the remaining families (30%) being originating from various countries across the world. Here, we report, the identification of the same homozygous RETGC1 nonsense mutation in three unrelated and non-consanguineous LCA families of Finnish origin, suggesting a founder effect. Interestingly, no linkage desequilibrium was found using polymorphic markers flanking the RETGC1 gene, supporting the view that the mutation is very ancient. Haplotype studies and Bayesian calculation point the founder mutation to 150 generations (95% credible interval 80-240 generations), i.e., 3000 years ago.
PubMed ID
12325031 View in PubMed
Less detail